Grilled Skirt Steak Skewers
1 1/2 to 2 pounds skirt steak
Extra-virgin olive oil for grill grates
For the Marinade:
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1-inch piece of ginger, sliced
1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Soak the skewers in water.
2. Prepare the marinade by placing all marinade ingredients in a bowl and combining.
3. Cut skirt steak in strips across the grain. Then, cut the strips into segments (along the grain of the meat), about 7 inches long. Finally, turn each segment so the grain of the meat runs in a line from left to right and cut thin strips (about 1/4-inch thick, 1 1/2-inches wide, 7 inches long).
4. Marinate steak in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
5. Preheat grill. Thread marinated steak onto skewers.
6. Brush the grill grates with olive oil, and grill the skewers over high, direct heat.
Recipe adapted from Elisa Bauer on SimplyRecipes.com.
The Perfect Old-Fashioned
2 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon sugar
Dash of bitters
Fresh orange peel
1 Maraschino cherry
1. In a rocks glass, place sugar, bitters and splash of bourbon. Stir to combine.
3. Add ice. (One large cube is ideal.)
4. Pour in the rest of the bourbon.
5. Garnish with the one orange peel and Maraschino cherry.